Monday, January 14, 2019

Blogness 1/14/19

1/14/19

Sunday morning, I swung by Bull Moose in Scarborough while getting new wipers and shoe laces in the area. 
Two years later, it still feels a little weird going in there.  I have to stop myself from organizing and being nitpicky when I'm in there, which is why I do most of my shopping at the Mill Creek store now.   It's not my job anymore,  I respect the current management, and understand possibly better than anyone the challenges they face.

While there, I ordered the new Flesh Eaters album, "I Used to be Pretty", which comes out on Friday.
The Flesh Eaters are an old LA punk band that features members of X (John Doe, DJ Bonebreak) and the Blasters (Dave Alvin, Bill Bateman) and frequently played with X, The Gun Club and the Cramps.  I guess you could call them a supergroup, though the band formed with this line up in the late 70s around singer Chris D.,  before any of the other bands were especially big.   In terms of sound, think a mix of Fear's aggressive vocal abrasiveness, The Gun Club's poetry and The Violent Femme's creative percussion. Their album Forever Came Today is one of my favorite forgotten gems of the old-school LA punk scene and their song "My Life To Live" in particular is one of my all-time favorite punk songs.
*****
I've been meaning to post a Best of 2018 list, but I've been busy and get stuck writing up blurbs about the music.  The TLDR version (wghich may be all you get) is:

New Stuff:
Death Valley Girls - Darkness Rains
Sleep - the Sciences
Turbonegro - Rocknroll Machine
Dog Party - Hit and Run
Zeke - Hellbender
High on Fire - Electric Messiah
Joe Strummer - Joe Strummer 101
Tiger Army - Dark Paradise EP
Distillers - Blood in Gutters/Man vs. Magnet single

Old Stuff:
Hawkwind - In Search of Space, Space Ritual, Doremi Laso fatido, Warrior at the Edge of Time (AKA - the Lemmy stuff)
Massive Attack - Protection, Mezzanine
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Joe Strumner - Earthquake Weather
Big Audio Dynamite - Big Audio Dynamite, 10 Upping Street

Looking forward to:
Flesh Eaters - I Used To be Pretty (Jan. 18th)
Giuda - E.V.A. (april 2019)
Distillers - new album (in studio now - title, date TBD)

No comments:

Post a Comment